In September 1922, Bishop Hugh Boyle established the parish of Saint Bede in Pittsburgh’s Point Breeze neighborhood. Father John F. Enright was appointed the first pastor. Several months later, prior to the completion of any parish buildings, Father Enright celebrated the parish’s first Mass in the home of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Hogan.
Some of the land on which the church and school now stand was purchased from the Shoyer family, whose home still serves as the rectory and office. The first church building was a simple frame structure constructed in 1923. The school was built in 1926. An addition to the school was completed in 1951, part of which serves as the present church. In 2000, the gymnasium and activity room were added. The church has been renovated twice, most recently in 2007.
In its 88 years, the parish has had four pastors: Father John F. Enright, 1922-1967; Father E. Charles Patterson, 1967-1976; Father Robert Wallace, 1976-1989; and Father Edward Bryce, who became pastor in 1989 and was recently assigned the role of parish administrator by Bishop David Zubik. St. Bede has been blessed by the many diocesan priests who have served here as well as by the Consolata Fathers and the Apostles of Jesus.
St. Bede principally serves the neighborhood of Point Breeze; however, with the 1993 closing of Saint Philomena, the parish grew as St. Bede welcomed many of St. Philomena’s former members. St. Bede’s parishioners continue the long tradition of generous service, both to one another and to the surrounding communities.
Saint Bede is a small part of the Universal Church. But here we meet Christ in our fellow parishioners, in the wider community we seek to serve, and before the Altar of the Blessed Sacrament. God has always blessed our parish abundantly and we are confident that His many blessings will continue.