Good Deeds Task Force
Would you like to get involved in local community service work?
Do you have concerns about the amount of time and energy that you have to devote to such projects?
The Good Deeds Task Force of Saint Bede Parish was developed in 2010 to give parishioners (and their friends and families) the opportunity to come together and volunteer for time-limited projects. The purpose of these projects is to accomplish tasks that serve or enhance Saint Bede parish or provide additional support to established volunteer programs in the city of Pittsburgh. If you have just a few hours to give of your time, talent or treasure to community service then the Saint Bede Good Deeds Task Force may be a perfect fit.
At present, the goal of the Good Deeds Task Force is to accomplish about six seasonal service projects per year. Each project is intended to allow members of the Saint Bede community to give of themselves in diverse and creative ways. Young or old there is likely to be a service project that is of interest to you. Here are some examples of projects the Good Deeds Task Force has undertaken to date. Please note: the exact dates for these projects, and the organizations served, vary somewhat annually. So it is always a good idea to check with the coordinators about what’s going on this season.
- January Service Project: Collections of food, clothing, gift cards and household products to donate to St. Joseph’s House of Hospitality in the Hill District (serving homeless men) and Sister’s Place, Inc. in Clairton (serving single parent families)
- February or March Service Project: Sewing flannel “preemie” kimonos to donate to the neonatal intensive care unit at Magee Women’s Hospital
- April and December Service Project: Cleaning and decorating the church for the Easter and Christmas seasons
- April or May Service Project: Helping with outdoor landscaping tasks to beautify the parish grounds
- May or June Service Project: Local volunteer outreach (usually just one morning or afternoon) to the Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank, Global Links
- October or November Service Project: Assisting with Monsignor Beiting’s Appalachia project by organizing, packing, and loading boxes for delivery