Altar servers assist the priest during the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass. Being an altar server is a wonderful opportunity for Catholic boys and girls of St. Bede Parish to serve God and His Church.
Boys and girls of St. Bede School and the St. Bede CCD Program who have completed the 4th grade are eligible to train as altar servers. Training is scheduled every spring and occurs on four consecutive Saturdays from 9:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. Once children complete these training sessions, the new servers are paired with 8th grade servers throughout the summer. This gives new servers hands on training with an experienced server by their side.
Altar servers can choose which Mass they would like to be scheduled for. All St. Bede School students are scheduled during the school year for the 7:00 a.m. and 9:00 a.m. Masses. The St. Bede CCD students are scheduled for these Masses only during the summer.
- Altar servers are expected to follow certain standards of behavior and dress while serving on the altar.
- Remember altar serving is a privilege.
- Servers should arrive 15 minutes prior to the beginning of Mass to set up the altar and sanctuary.
- Servers should be neatly groomed and dress shoes should be worn.
- Servers are responsible for finding a replacement if unable to serve when scheduled.
- Servers should actively participate in the Mass by reciting the prayers, singing and responding when appropriate.
- Servers should hang up their cassocks and surplices neatly.